Ebook ISBN: 978-0-7387-2802-5
First E book edition January 2011 Link to book on Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/qhcwnj3
Published by Midnight Ink, an imprint of Llewellyn Worldwide Ltd.
This is a quick read with lots of one-liners. The book starts out with a bomb having dropped on, main character, Anastasia Pollock’s head that her husband has dropped dead, and before doing so, cleaned out and gambled away every cent of their finances.
With two teenagers to support, she is devastated. To top it off, her elderly mother-in-law, Lucille, a card carrying communist, and member of the Daughters of the October Revolution, has just moved in with her little dog after her own home burned down, taking with it all her life’s savings.
Anastasia works at a magazine as the craft editor and so there are also little spots throughout the book where plans for craft projects are included.
When one of the magazine’s bosses is murdered, she becomes a prime suspect. But this is not her only worry as a mafia loan shark is also after her to pay up her husband’s debts.
There follows a series of events which drag our heroine into almost complete ruin. But we are kept laughing as her sense of sarcasm and humour never flounders for a moment.
This is a fun read. Five stars all the way! *****
Links for Lois Winston:
BIO from her website:
Lois Winston straddles two worlds. She’s an award-winning
author of romance, romantic suspense, humorous women’s
fiction, and mystery under her own name and as Emma Carlyle.
She’s also an award-winning designer of needlework and
crafts projects for magazines, craft book publishers, and
craft kit manufacturers. Like Anastasia, the protagonist in
her ANASTASIA POLLACK CRAFTING MYSTERIES series,
Lois worked for several years as a crafts editor. A graduate
of the prestigious Tyler School of Art, she often draws on
her art and design background for much of the source
material in her fiction. She lives with her husband a stone’s
throw from Manhattan (assuming you can throw a stone
across the Hudson River.)
– 2012 Daphne du Maurier Award, finalist
– 2012 ForeWords Book of the Year, finalist
– 2012 Salt Lake City Library System Readers’ Choice Award, finalist
– 2012 Canyonland Press Readers’ Choice Award, finalist
– 2008 Winter Rose Award for Excellence in Romantic Fiction, 1st Place
– 2008 Laurie Awards, 1st Place
– 2008 More Than Magic Award, 1st Place
– 2008 Beacon Awards, 2nd Place
– 2008 Golden Quill Awards, Finalist
– 2007 Readers and Book Buyers Best Award, 1st Place
– 2007 Beacon Awards, 2nd Place
– 2007 Laurel Wreath Awards, 2nd Place
– 2007 Golden Leaf Awards, Finalist
– 2006 Golden Leaf Awards, Finalist
– 2006 Reviewers’ Choice Awards, Finalist
– 2005 Romance Writers of America Golden Heart Award, Finalist
– 2004 St. Martin’s Press Malice Domestic Competition, Finalist
– 2004 Dorchester Publishing American Title Competition, 1st Runner-up
– 2004 Romance Writers of America Golden Heart Award, Double Finalist